The earth is either 4-5 billion years old, or very young. Evidence for an old earth relates to the current breakdown rate of uranium into lead in earth basement rocks. It is the basis on which evolutionary/atheistic dogma justifies deep time, allowing evolution of life to take place. I will discuss this issue in another post.
Evidence for a young earth abounds. Here are a few dot points:
1. Galaxies are supposed to be about 10 billion years old. But the current observed rotation speeds are so fast that if galaxies were more than a few percent of this age, they would already be a featureless disc of stars instead of their present spiral shape. All evolutionary attempts at explaining this problem have so far failed.
2. When supernovas (SNR’s) explode, they keep expanding for millions of years. In our galaxy they explode about every 25-50 years. If the universe is over 120,000 years old, there should be thousands of stage three supernovas. If our galaxy was billions of years old there would be at least 7,000 stage three SNR’s. Yet, there are NO stage three supernovas and very few stage two supernovas.
3. The sun shrinks at the rate of 1.5 metres per hour. At this rate the earth would have been so hot only one million years ago that no life could have survived.
4. The moon is receding from the earth at the rate of 4cm a year. Assuming current rates, and starting from a touching position with the earth (not likely), that gives a maximum age of the moon of 1.37 billion years.
5. At least 579 transient lunar phenomena (TLP’s) have been recorded since the first telescope was invented. TLP’s are localised bright hot spots of gas escaping from the moon. Even Apollo 15 recorded a high burst of radon during its mission. Radon has a half life of 3.8 days. The moon is volcanically active! The big bang model rejects this clear evidence, claiming all are observational errors!
6. Evolutionary theories claim the moon never had a molten core, so cannot have volcanic activity. But it once had a strong magnetic field, which only comes from a molten core. The existence, pattern and decay of magnetic fields in all planets is a huge headache to atheistic evolution…
7. The earth’s magnetic field is decaying at about 5% per year. Going backwards gives us a maximum age of the earth of 10,000 years. Evolutionists claim it must have oscillated over billions of years. There is no evidence for this claim.
8. Mercury’s age is supposed to be around 5 billion years. In 1975 its magnetic field was first measured. In 2008 it was measured again. During that 33 year period the field has shrunk by 4%! This rate of decay was accurately predicted beforehand by creationist scientists based on the idea of a young solar system of 6,000 years.
9. Comets are supposed to be the same age as the solar system, 5 billion years. Yet each time a comet orbits close to the sun, it loses so much of its material that none could survive much longer than about 100,000 years. The Kuiper belt and imaginary “Oort cloud” have been postulated as the source of new comets to replace those that have evaporated.
10. A moon of Jupiter, Io, still has active volcanic activity. Such a body, much smaller than the earth, should have long ago lost all its internal heat, if it was billions of years old. So evolutionists have hypothesised that Jupiter’s gravity rhythmically ‘squeezes’ Io to keep heating it by friction!
11. As its nuclear fuel burns up, the sun’s core shrinks, and this would make the reactions occur more readily. Therefore, the sun should shine more brightly as it ages. But this means that if billions of years were true, the sun would have been 25% fainter in the past and the earth would have been frozen at an average temperature of –3ºC when life was supposed to have begun. But in 6,000 years or so, there would have been no significant increase in energy output from the sun. It is a problem only for old-age ideas.
12. Although the sun has over 99% of the mass of the solar system, it has only 2% of the angular momentum. This pattern is directly opposite to the pattern predicted for the evolutionary nebular hypothesis.
13. Stars speeding away from each other inside galaxies at around 10 km per second. They should have dispersed within 100 million years. They haven’t.
14. Methane detected on Jupiter’s moon Titan should have dispersed within 10,000 years of its creation.
14. Neptune and Uranus should have lost their magnetic fields by now if they were billions of years old, but they still have them.
16. Helium loss from radio-active decay of rocks on earth is consistent with a 10,000 year age of the earth. Helium leaches more slowly from our atmosphere than it comes out of our rocks. Where is all the helium if the earth is billions of years old?
17. Carbon 14 is measurable in all coal and diamonds. It is undetectable after 100,000 years.
I could go on and on and on easily doubling this list, but the blog would be too long. I will come back to this topic in the future.