LESSON 1. TWO WAYS TO GROW DISCIPLES
Jesus said we were to go into all the world and make disciples of all nations (ethnic groups)
The western church has traditionally tried to make disciples through the Greek method:
1. Sermons to large groups
2. Attendance at church
3.Imparting lots of knowledge
4.Taking people away to training institutions
5. It is all about theology and believing the right things
6.Lots of breadth but little depth
Jesus didn’t do any of this. He made disciples through the Jewish method:
1. Living with them in small groups
2. Using the events of life as training opportunities
3. Modelling what he wanted copied
4. Up-skilling them through short term practice once ready
5. Training them to mentor others
6. It was all about obedience in the whole of life
7. Lots of depth, the breadth came later
Why the difference?
Because Jesus knew that the very best way to learn anything is by training others!
2. THE BEST WAYS TO LEARN
We learn well when it is modeled for us
We learn well through doing
We learn well in groups.
We learn well through discovery
We learn well when we are held accountable
We learn well when asked questions and asking questions
We learn well when motivation is intrinsic not extrinsic
3. JESUS: PREACHING, TEACHING OR TRAINING?
|1. Preaching||2. Teaching||3. Training|
|For evangelism||For followers||For leaders|
|To the crowd||To a smaller group||To the ones and twos|
|Entertainment centred||Knowledge centred||Action centred|
|Good for evangelism||Good for doctrines and truth||Good for discipling|
Which did he do the most?
What was most important to him?
Which of these did Jesus ask us to do in Matthew 28:18-20?
4. THIS IS HOW JESUS DISCIPLED:
He modelled, disciples watched (Luke 5)
He modelled, disciples helped (Luke 8:1-2)
Disciples practiced, Jesus helped (Luke 9)
Disciples lead others, Jesus watched (Luke 10)
If we are get the same amazing results that Jesus had, we must use the same methods of making disciples.
He started small
Trained deep so their character changed
Let them loose
They changed the world.
1. Teach someone what you have just learned
2. Read Luke 3-10 several times
3. Ask the Holy Spirit to show you the keys to Jesus’ movement
4. Start to do what the Holy Spirit is telling you