1. BEING FILLED WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT
Are you filled with the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in tongues?
Jesus said being filled with the Holy Spirit was a very big deal and essential for future ministry. The disciples were told not to begin their mass movement until the Holy Spirit had arrived (Acts 1:4-5). Even Jesus did not start his ministry until he was baptised in the Holy Spirit (Luke 3:21-22). Below are some further instructions on the baptism of the Holy Spirit:
Matthew 28:19: Instructions to go and baptise people in the Holy Spirit
Mark 16:17: Speaking in tongues is a sign of a believer
Acts 1:4-8: Jesus says power will come with the Holy Spirit
Acts 2:4: The 120 were filled with the Holy Spirit and spoke in tongues
Acts 2:38: Repentance, baptism and then the baptism of the Holy Spirit
Acts 4:31: Holy Spirit came with power
Acts 10:44-46: Holy Spirits came with speaking in tongues
Acts 19:2-6: Baptism in the Holy Spirit came with tongues
1 Corinthians 12:1-11: The gifts of the Holy Spirit
1 Corinthians 14:1-18: Instructions about speaking in tongues
2. LEARNING TO HEAR THE HOLY SPIRIT
Jesus modelled how he wants us to live:
John 5:19-20: He only did what he saw the father doing
John 5:30: He only judged as his father told him to do
John 6:45: He said we will be taught directly by God
John 10:4: Jesus’ is our shepherd. His sheep know his voice
John 10:16: Jesus has other sheep who will hear his voice (us!)
John 10:27: My sheep listen to my voice. They follow me.
John 14:26: The Holy Spirit will be our teacher, reminded us of Jesus’ words
John 16:13: The Holy Spirit will guide us into all truth.
Jesus wants to talk to you and guide you into all truth, in every aspect of your life! We are his children and a child is continually receiving instructions on how to live from its parents. Their mum and dad’s delight is to train them up in the skills needed to live a successful life.
How do we hear his voice?
Through a gentle small whisper. Through our conscience. Through scripture. Through others It will happen faster the more you draw near to him in friendship.
A toddler begins to hear single words. Then progresses to sentences. It’s the same with hearing from God. So begin by asking the Holy Spirit to whisper single words to you. Ask questions like: What do you think of me? What do you want me to do? What should I do today? Who should I share your love with today?
3. BEING LED BY THE HOLY SPIRIT
The church in Antioch sets aside Saul and Barnabas for a specific ministry
Paul was told to go to Europe, not Asia
This planted Christianity in Europe so that it would not wither and die 1,000 years later under Islam.
Note: The Holy Spirit is talking to non-believers all the time, drawing them toward him. Our job is to obey the Holy Spirit and He will lead us to them. They are the persons of peace talked about in Luke 10.
Make sure you are baptised in the Holy Spirit and know how to bring others through.
1. Then make sure all your Christian friends are also filled with the Holy Spirit
2. Practice listening to the Holy Spirit in small groups. Ask questions and then listen.
3. Pray for a single word, vision, message for the person in the middle.
4. Ask God a question. Then write in a journal everything that comes into your mind.
5. Guidance from the Holy Spirit comes better if you are asking questions.
6. Read John 15:15 and ask Jesus what it means to you.
7. Ask the Holy Spirit to show you where you should go this afternoon to share the Gospel.
8. Ask God questions and then journal the thoughts that flow quickly into your mind.